Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Academy Awards Are Coming! The Academy Awards Are Coming!

Well, the 83rd Annual Academy Awards are quickly approaching and I couldn’t be more excited. There are a lot of great movies and performers nominated for this Sunday’s big event. And even though I did not see every nominated movie, I cannot wait to see who wins. However, there are some movies that I did see featuring wonderful performances by actresses and actors that entertained me. So, for this particular blog post, instead of a regular film review, I would simply discuss….

My Hopes for the Winners of This Year's Academy Awards!!!!

1. For best supporting actress, I really hope that The King’s Speech’s Helena Bonham Carter wins for her graceful performance as Elizabeth; the eventual Queen of England. Throughout the film, Carter portrayed a woman who loves her husband and remained by his side at all times. In fact, it was because she loved her husband that she found and eventually hired Lionel Logue to help Duke Albert overcome his stutter and restore his confidence. Carter’s Elizabeth was a great portrayal that was both emotional and powerful. Henceforth I really hope that Helena Bonham Carter wins the award for Best Supporting Actress at this year’s Oscars.

2. For Best Supporting Actor, I find myself struggling between The King’s Speech’s Geoffrey Rush and The Fighter’s Christian Bale. When playing Lionel Logue, Rush gave a top-notch and strong performance as he guides Colin Firth’s Duke Albert through many unorthodox lessons designed to help overcome his stutter as well as his fear of eventually inheriting the royal throne. However, when portraying Dickie Ekland in The Fighter, Christian Bale literally went the extra mile to ensure a convincing performance as he lost a significant amount of weight; so that he perfectly resembled Mark Whalberg’s Micky Ward’s brother and trainer. In addition as evident by the film’s end credits, it is clear to see that Bale got Ekland’s physical mannerisms exactly correct; as actual footage of the two brothers is shown to the audiences. Plus, Bale had to develop a New England accent; which required a lot of training as the actor is actually British. So, when comparing the performances of the two actors, I believe that while Geoffrey Rush gave a terrific performance, I think that Christian Bale’s performance is more unforgettable; and henceforth, I think he will win this category and I hope he does. But if Rush does win Best Supporting Actor I will still be happy.

3. In the Best Animated Movie Category, I hope that Toy Story 3 is the victor. Never have I seen such a heartfelt computer-Animated film. I feel that Woody the Cowboy, Buzz Lightyear, and all their friends were designed with great and vibrant colors, strong voice recordings by a talented ensemble of performers, as well as a lot of emotion and heart. The story of the toys facing a plague of uncertainty as their owner is heading off to college provided a lot of interesting twists and turns as they mistakenly get donated to a daycare center and I was on the edge of my seat as they faced many challenges on their way back home. And throughout the film, we laugh, cry, and root for our heroes; a feeling that I hold very significantly as I love films with characters that you can root and sympathize with. Thus, I really hope that Toy Story 3 wins Best Animated Film and I think that it will.

4. In the Best Actor Category, I definitely am hoping that Colin Firth is the ultimate victor. As the then-Duke-and-Eventual King of England, Firth gave a performance that was perfect on all accounts. As Duke Albert, Firth portrays a political figure that is stricken with panic as his father, the current King of England, is dying and passes his Kinghood to Albert’s brother David; who doesn’t take his reign seriously and spends his time flirting with an American divorce’. Thus, Firth’s Albert’s stutter gets more severe and it is up to Lionel Logue to help the troubled Duke overcome his plight. And all the scenes featuring Firth and Rush interrelating are exciting to watch; as their performances are dramatic, touching, and even humorous at times as well. And, any scenes featuring Firth’s Albert communicating with Helena Bonham Carter’s Elizabeth are all very emotional as she always stands by her husband and loves him with all her heart. And Colin Firth gves the performance of a lifetime and I hope he wins the Prestigious Best Actor Award. And I think it will definitely happen.

5. Which brings me to the Best Picture Category. As you can tell from this entry as well as many of my past ones, you know that I really want The King’s Speech wins the big award of the night. After all, the movie is very touching, historically correct, and even funny at times as well. It’s just a wonderful story about overcoming a disability as well as fear through the power of friendship and love. Duke Albert’s lessons with Lionel Logue led to a meaningful and powerful companionship. And the love that Elizabeth and her daughters Margaret and Elizabeth had for Albert was strong and faithful; and they stood by him and kept his spirits up throughout his troubles. And eventually, Duke Albert overcomes his fear and his speech impediment and rises to the occasion; thus becoming a great king. Therefore it is a real and powerful story about the goodness of man and I hope that it wins the title of Best Film at this year’s Oscars.

Well, there you have it. I’m really excited about seeing this year’s prestigious awards ceremony and it’s definitely going to be a momentous night. And as I watch James Franco and Anne Hathaway host the festivities, I will be blogging live and reacting to all the winners, losers, and occurrences taking place on the stage. So keep checking my blog during the event and I’ll keep you informed of everything that is taking place. So stay tuned to Sunday night. It will definitely be a night to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment