Saturday, September 22, 2012

All in all, a Show that was Rich in Good Performances, But Weak in Writing

Just like last week, the show suffered from a case of mediocre writing.  Fortunately, also like last week, the performances by the show's cast and host saved the sketches.

The Kelly and Michael cold opening was alright and it featured decent performances from Jay Pharoah and Nasim Pedrad.  Unfortunately, they weren't given great material at all.  I'm happy to see Jay Pharoah open the show two weeks in a row and I can honestly say that he's become a better sketch comedy performer this season.  Bill Hader did a good impression of Robert Pattinson; but I wish he was given more to do.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt had a lot of energy in his monologue.  However, it must be said that the monologue was just an excuse for the actor to show off his body for the audience.  In addition, the monologue was very rushed and the ending was quite abrupt.  Nevertheless, Gordon-Levitt did a good job and he looked like he was having a good time.

The detective sketch was quite good and Bill Hader and Gordon-Levitt gave good performances.  The drawings of Hader's character got funnier as the sketch went on and I liked the reactions Gordon-Levitt made as his character.  However, the ending of the sketch appeared tacked on.  Depite this, the writing was very good and it was an enjoyable sketch.

The hypnotist sketch was good; and it featured strong performances from Gordon-Levitt and Taran Killam.  I will say, however, that Killam's performance got slightly over-the-top towards the sketch's conclusion; but I did laugh in all honesty.  The ending was also funny and Gordon-Levitt has continued to do well as the show's host.

"Weekend Update" this week was a mixed bag.  Seth Meyers' first few jokes weren't very funny; but his jokes aimed at Brad Pitt and Paris Hilton were funny.  Meyers also seemed to be taking his time a bit more this week; rather than rushing through every joke like he did last week.

Fred Armisen's and Vanessa Bayer's "...Two Best Friends" characters weren't funny at all.  Their routine was basically the same as previous installments, though the slight cracks at the new SNL castmembers at the end of the segment were slightly humorous.

I liked Kate McKinnon's performance as Ann Romney.  Though the writing was weak, McKinnon gave a strong performance.  I'm finding her ti be a good performer.  And I can't believe that this is only her seventh show as a castmember.

Jay Pharoah gave a good performance as Stephen Smith; despite being given weak material.  He's definitely improved as a castmember this season and I'm looking forward to seeing him do more as the season goes on.

All in all, a better installment of "Weekend Update" than last week.

The song memories sketch was quite enjoyable; mostly due to the fun performances from Jason Sudeikis, Kenan Thompson, Bill Hader, and Gordon-Levitt.  Though the stories their characters told were very awkward, I enjoyed seeing the four of them have fun singing together.  I also enjoyed seeing Mumford and Sons involved in the sketch; and they appeared to be having fun also.  I loved seeing everyone dance into the audience at the end of the sketch; mostly because I enjoy seeing the fourth wall broken.  This is a variety show after all; and I love seeing everyone have a good time.
  I just wish the writing was better.

The "Finer Things" talk show sketch wasn't very funny at all.  I'm happy that Jay Pharoah is getting more to do; even though he keeps being given weak material.  His chemistry with Kenan was good; despite the fact that they had nothing funny to work with.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt gave a good performance; but alas, the good writing wasn't there at all.  I do see this sketch becoming a reoccurring segment; as the format can be easily repeated.  Not a great sketch,

The sketch featuring Fred Armisen, Kate McKinnon, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt was alright; but mostly that sketch was an excuse to have the latter dress up as a woman.  Nevertheless, Gordon-Levitt gave a strong performance and he made the sketch better than it could have been.  Fred Armisen and Kate McKinnon gave a good musical performance and I enjoyed Gordon-Levitt's engaging performance.  The ending, however, felt tacked on as well as abrupt.

The real-estate fake-commercial sketch with Nasim Pedrad and Tim Robinson was alright; but it suffered from weak writing.  They both gave good performances and I'm happy that Tim Robinson is getting to do quite a bit.  Gordon-Levitt's  involvement  was good as well; though I feel the conclusion of the segment appeared rushed. 

And that's the episode.  I'm really happy to see the newer castmembers like Jay Pharoah, Taran Killam, and Kate McKinnon get more to do.  It appears that they, with the addition of Vanessa Bayer and new Featured Player Tim Robinson, are slowly becoming the new stars of the show.  I hope that Featured Players Aidy Bryant and Cecily Strong get more to do as well. 

Like his first time on the show, Joseph Gordon-Levitt gave a great performance as the host.  His performances greatly improved the quality of the sketches and he worked very well with the cast.  I hope he hosts again soon.

Mumford and Sons gave very good performances and I was happy to see them involved in a sketch.  They are much better than Frank Ocean.

And that's my review.  Thank you all for following me tonight.  I just want to take this time to say that my review of the season premier of "The Office" will be posted by sometime this week at the latest; most likely by Thursday.  I want to take my time with it and I want it to be good.  So expect it up by Thursday at the latest.  I apologize for the delay but it will be worth the wait,

Thank you all for following me and stay tuned for more Nater-Tainment!  Good night everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment