Thursday, March 3, 2011

From the Mind of Nate: My Assessment of The 83rd Academy Awards

Well, the 83rd Annual Academy Awards have come and gone; and overall, it was three hours of a mixed bag. First of all, I would just like to say that it was wonderful to see a majority of the people who I wanted to see win their respective awards. For example, I was happy to see Christian Bale receive the award for Best Supporting actor for his groundbreaking portrayal of former-boxing-champion-but-unstable Dicky Ekland. Also, even though I did not see Black Swan, I have always liked the elegant and endearing Natalie Portman; so, needless to say I was very glad to see her triumphantly receive the celebrated award for Best Actress. And, of course, I was very happy to see Colin Firth deservingly receive the award for Best Actor for his tremendous performance as the long-suffering-but-endearing Duke Albert in the esteemed film The King’s Speech; which also more-than-rightfully emerged victorious as the victor in the Best Picture category. This is very monumental as this is the first time in ages that my most preferred film of the year went on to receive the Best Picture honor at the Academy Awards. However, not everything was pitch-perfect at this year’s gala; as I have a few significant issues with the telecast. So without further ado, I would like to present:



My Problems with The 83rd Annual Academy Awards


1. I was not very happy that Melissa Leo won the Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in The Fighter. Don’t get me wrong, I thought she did a decent playing the mother of Mark Wahlberg’s Micky Ward and Christian Bale’s Dicky Ekland. However, throughout her performance, she did come off as controlling and shrill; as she would constantly impose her influence on Wahlberg’s Micky Ward as she refused him from seeing Amy Adams’ Charlene Fleming as well as demanding that she not be removed as his manager. Her performance in The Fighter was in no way as graceful or benevolent as Helena Bonham Carter’s Elizabeth; who supported her husband throughout the whole film and wanted nothing more than to restore his confidence as he always grew closer to inheriting the Royal Throne; which he was very afraid of. It should also be mentioned that Melissa Leo was not very professional during her acceptance speech; as she was not focused at all when speaking—she basically just jumped from one subject to another at the blink-of-an-eye. Furthermore, amidst her jumbled words, she let loose a swear word; thus making her speech as well as herself appear even more ridiculous. I also want to point out the silly sight of her walking off stage with the esteemed Kirk Douglas’ cane. That sight was just plain nonsensical and I was scratching my head while trying to figure out why she was doing so. Nevertheless, Melissa Leo may have won an Academy Award; but I don’t think her performance on the big screen was as great as Helena Bonham Carter’s.





Image taken from http://blog.newsok.com/bamsblog/files/2011/02/oscars-2011-melissa-leo-accepts.jpg


2. I also thought that the whole ceremony was completely dull and lacked a lot of energy. Usually, there are some memorable comical moments during the Academy Awards. Who could forget last year when Ben Stiller came on stage as a Na’vi from Avatar; complete with the yellow eyes and blue full-body make-up? Also, in 2007, I remember Will Ferrell and Jack Black singing about being a comical performer not being nominated for any awards and being joined by actor John C. Riley on stage. These moments were very funny and memorable and offered more excitement to the evening. This year, we had nothing like that. Yes, Russell Brand and Former Oscar Host Billy Crystal made appearances, but they didn’t say or do anything memorable. In other words, it would have been nice to have something out-of-the-ordinary occur. But, I guess this year was just business as usual for The Academy Awards as this year they just recognized the evolution of the Awards Ceremony itself; a feat that has been done during ceremonies past.



Image taken from http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Celebrities/S_Z/Wi_Wp/Will_Ferrell/1/will-ferrell29.jpg




3. And this brings me to the performances by this year’s hosts: James Franco and Anne Hathaway. First off, I just want to say that I thought that Hathaway gave a straight performance as host; as her costume changes were very nice and interesting. I also thought that her song aimed at Hugh Jackman was a fascinating moment and she was a good vocalist; but overall, I thought the concept was a bit silly and not completely unforgettable. However, I do think that James Franco’s performance as Co-Host was very flat and underwhelming. Every time he spoke, there was no tough of flair to his words and his overall presentation was devoid of any dynamic or emotion. And, anytime he tried to make a comical statement, it came off as unsettling or confusing. I remember Franco listing the titles of films he found inappropriate as well as coming out wearing a dress after Hathaway performed her song. These moments were cornier rather than hilarious and I just was not feeling any real excitement throughout the whole event.

Image taken from http://www.awardsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/02_83TC_0077.jpg


That being said, there were a couple moments I found noteworthy. I did enjoy Randy Newman’s performance of the eventual Academy Award winning song “We Belong Together” from the deserving Best Picture winning Toy Story 3. I also enjoyed the children’s chorus of PS22’S beautiful singing of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” during the show’s conclusion; a presentation I found to be very remarkable and heartwarming. But, aside from these performances, I found the overall feeling of the evening to be very bland and very-less-than-impressive. I just hope that next year’s Academy Awards improve a lot; both humor-wise and production-wise. Maybe the Academy could invite more comical or show-stopping performers to anchor the program. Perhaps Robin Williams or Ricky Gervais could host and perform some hard-hitting stand-up comedy. Or maybe multitalented people like Neil Patrick Harris or Amy Adams could do a full-hosting stint that feature well-choreographed musical numbers. Maybe former hosts Ellen DeGeneres or Billy Crystal could return to the stage to entertain and present. That way, the festivities would not only be very entertaining; but also spectacular. That way, it wouldn’t just be Hollywood personnel lighting up; it would also be everybody at home.




(EDIT: To see Will Ferrell and Jack Black's Musical performance from the 2007 Academy Awards, Click here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JAPkvnyso)


No comments:

Post a Comment