Thursday, March 17, 2011

Movies I Want to See: Paul



I am not a big science fiction fan. The only out-of-this-world films I enjoy watching are anything relating to Star Wars. Usually, most intergalactic films involve aliens invading Earth and destroying things as the human race struggles to stay alive. Other types of sci-fi films involve humans in outer space traveling to other worlds or drifting through the universe within a spaceship or other modes of interstellar transport. Needless to say these films just leave me either uninterested or complaining about the lack of originality. However, there is one science fiction movie coming out in the near future that I am very excited about. That would be the new sci-fi comedy ‘Paul’; which will be invading theaters everywhere this Friday. Thus, it is with a burst of positive energy that I say:

I want to travel to movie theaters and Meet ‘Paul’

Why do I want to see this movie, you might ask? Well, for one thing it’s a comedy. There aren’t many intergalactic movies that are designed to be humorous. True, I have seen sci-fi comedies before. I am happy to say that I own the Mel Brooks-helmed comedy Spaceballs and I have seen the over-the-top alien invasion spoof Mars Attacks. But, in the case of the film Paul, I am very fascinated and excited by the trailers and premise; which involve buddies Graeme Willy and Clive Gollings, played by Simon Pegg and Nick Frost respectfully, traveling to Area 51 and eventually meeting the titular space traveler with the jolly voice of Seth Rogen.

The main reason I want to see this movie is that it features two of my favorite British performers: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. I enjoy the pair’s past work together in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. And these two films are very unique as they are basically spoofs of specific genres of film. Shaun of the Dead, which was released in 2004, is a British take on zombie films; and, Hot Fuzz, which was released in 2007, is a spoof of buddy-cop films. And both of these films feature storylines that are solid and exciting. In Shaun of the dead, Pegg plays Shaun, who has to get his life together, while he and his friend Ed, played by Frost, fend off a plague of zombies. And in Hot Fuzz, Pegg plays Nicolas Angel, an unwavering police officer who sets off to figure out who is responsible for committing gruesome murders; and he is accompanied by PC Danny Butterman; played by Frost with great eagerness. Both of these spoofs features great chemistry between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost; so, needless to say, it will be great seeing them together on the big screen once again in 'Paul'. Plus, the two also wrote the screenplay for the film; subsequently leading me to be even more excited.

Along with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, I am also looking forward to seeing the film’s intelligently-casted supporting performers. Playing the lead Agent sent to apprehend Paul, is the straight-faced Jason Bateman; who I’ve always enjoyed been seen in movies and television- specifically as lead character Michael Bluth in the acclaimed but short-lived Arrested Development. Also, I am excited to see Bill Hader, my favorite current cast members of Saturday Night Live, playing one of Bateman’s Agent Zoil’s henchmen. This is very significant as I always enjoy seeing Bill Hader cast in anything as he can portray either the straight man in a sketch or film as well as playing a comical character; such as Stefon on SNL or Officer Slater in Greg Motolla's previous hit comedy Superbad. Also, I am very excited to see Kristen Wiig, who I think is very talented, cast in a significant role; as she can be seen alongside Pegg and Frost in many of the film’s clips and previews. In addition, I am excited to see many other familiar faces cast in the film as well; specifically Jane Lynch, Jeffery Tambor, and Sigourney Weaver. And even though I am not the world’s biggest fan of Seth Rogen, I still think it’s a clever idea to cast him as the voice of Paul; as hearing his jovial voice come out of a computer-generated and cartoonish alien is very funny. In short, the cast alone is worthy of anyone’s money and time.

I am also excited to see this film as it is helmed by Greg Motolla; who previously served as the director of the 2007 coming-of-age comedy Superbad. Along with Bill Hader, Motolla’s hit comedy introduced wide audiences to a new group of performers; specifically Michael Cera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and Emma Stone-- thus eventually leading them to star in their own films. We have seen Michael Cera be charming and romantic in Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist; which indicated that he can carry a romantic lead role on his own. Jonah Hill got wild and went on a crazy ride as he attempts to get troubled musician Aldous Snow portrayed by Russel Brand, to perform at an important concert in Get Him to the Greek; which subsequently proved that he can act and evoke laughs in a mainstream road-trip comedy. Christopher Mintz-Plasse was determined to emerge victorious in a fierce role-playing competition in Role Models; which resulted in him gaining more notice and fans. And Emma Stone received praise for her performance as a high school girl who must deal with the consequences of telling a white lie about losing her virginity to a college student in the teen comedy Easy A. Thus, Superbad and Greg Motolla provided a launching-pad for these performers; leading them to recieve box office victory and loyal fanhood. Hopefully, Greg Motolla’s sci-fi comedy will expose Simon Pegg and Nick Frost to even more people and we’ll get to see them cast in more films and gain a wider fan base.

But the biggest reason I am excited to see ‘Paul’; is that it just looks like it could be a fun movie. Being as it is a comedy, I am expecting humorous dialogue, strong humorous performances, and many tributes to multiple well-known films. And being a film enthusiast, I would be excited in counting the numerous references. Henceforth, ‘Paul’ looks like it could an entertaining movie to see in theaters. Thus I am looking forward to eventually seeing the intergalactic comedy and reviewing it for my blog. After all, a movie about best friends going on an exciting adventure is definitely up my alley.

E-mail me at thatsnatertainment@gmx.com

No comments:

Post a Comment