Saturday, November 12, 2011

Well that's the show

What a very disappointing episode. I was really hoping that Emma Stone's star-power would have guaranteed her memorable sketches. Boy was I wrong.

The opening debate sketch was the best part of the night and all the castmembers' performances were great; especially Bill Hader's.

The monologue was a complete ripoff of Kristen Dunst's monologue from 2002; but at least they achknoledged this fact. Andrew Garfield was given nothing to do and I was hoping that he and Emma Stone would have been featured together in a creative sketch. In addition, Andy Samberg was annoying throughout the whole segment.

Secret Word was alright; but it was bascially the same format as all the other installments. The performances were all good and I'm happy that Emma Stone got to play a character in a sketch. The writing, however, was weak.

Bill hader's reporter sketch basically followed the same format as always; but he did give a good performance. As did the rest of the players. But the writing was once again mediocre at best.

Weekend Update was alright; if nothing special. Jason Sudeikis' performance as The Devil was good as always. But Fred Armisen and Kristen Wiig, while giving good performances, basically rehashed their shtick from before. Chris Martin's addition to the sketch was a nice change of pace; but it was all the same as before.

Les Junes De Paris was played out again; and I guess it will now be repeated everytime Emma Stone hosts. I will say that she is a good dancer and I am happy that she now has a reoccurring character. The castmembers all did well with the dancing; but the sketch wasn't anything special.

The bridal shower sketch was original; but the writing was very poor. I'm very happy that Emma Stone got the opportunity to portray another character; and she did give a good performance. But the sketch didn't go anywhere at all.

I did like the sketch featuring the castmembers and Emma Stone getting teary eyed when listening to Adele's hit song "Someone Like You." All the performances were good and Coldplay's appearance was very creative and funny. I liked the sight of most of the cast and Emma Stone singing together; and the bit ended the right way.

The final sketch of the night was just plain stupid and juvenile. I do not find the idea of having electronic devices engaging in sexual activities funny; and the whole bit was just really bad.

Coldplay were AMAZING as expected and their songs are great. I'm glad they got to be involved with skits and they are just GREAT performers!

And now I must say that I am REALLY DISAPPOINTED with how the show played out. While I'm happy that Emma Stone got the opportunity to play some real characters this time and she also gave good performances; I am just saddened to see that the writers seemed not to care at all. I am happy that Emma Stone got to host again; but I'm disappointed that the show was not as terrific as I hoped it would be.

I can tell that Emma Stone is very appreciative with the skits she gets; and that is very admirable. She is very enthusiastic and I'm glad to see that she did her very best with the material she is given. Unfortunately, I really wish the writers would just step up to the plate and give her the TRULY AMAZING material she deserves.

I also want to say that I really liked the picture they created that featured Emma Stone dressed as Gilda Radner's famous reoccurring character Rosanne Rosannadanna. I have read numerous articles in which Emma Stone says that her idol is Gilda Radner. Creating that picture was a nice gesture and you can tell the cast and crew enjoys having Stone on the show. I just wish the writers would give her better material!!!!

I have to say, in all honesty, this episode is tied with Anna Faris's show as being the most disappointing of the season. However, I will say that Emma Stone is a WAY BETTER host than Anna Faris; so I would rank tonight's episode as being slightly better.

So that's all. Thank you for following me tonight and I look forward to posting my next big writing. I just hope that Jason Segel is given great material. Maybe his "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" co-star Bill Hader will encourage the writers to come up with top-notch sketches!

Thank you again and good night!

E-mail me at thatsnatertainment@gmx.com

1 comment:

  1. Not even Coldplay could've saved this show.

    The only parts I liked were the opening and the end bumper - complete with the recreation of the typeset of the "Saturday Night Live" in the bumper circa the 1978-79 season.

    What a waste of good talent.

    ReplyDelete