Sunday, January 15, 2012

A "That's Nater-Tainment!" Special Report: My Views On The 2012 Golden Globes' Comedy Film Categories

In a few hours, the 69th Annual Golden Globes will be airing on NBC. And, as I did last year, I plan on live-blogging throughout the telecast; which is from 8:00pm to 11:00pm. I will be commenting on who's winning, who's losing, as well as other matters that come to mind during the telecast. And, as I am a big lover of comedy, I have a few wishes as to how the comedy categories turn out. Thus, I thought it would be great to post some feelings regarding the three main categories in this particular field-- in an attempt to get you all in the mood for the event. Thus, without further ado, I now present to you:

My Wishes and Predictions About the 2012 Golden Globes' Comedy Categories

1. I really wish that Joseph Gordon-Levitt would win the award for Best Performance by an Actor in a Comedy or Musical for his emotional performance in "50/50." As protagonist Adam Lerner, who is diagnosed with a tumor on his spine and must experience different forms of treatment in an effort to get it removed, Gordon-Levitt held his own throughout the entire film; never once giving in to co-star Seth Rogen's constant crudeness. Joseph Gordon-Levitt bestowed a performance that was emotionally-riveting; one that allowed us to completely sympathize with him. Henceforth, I greatly yearn for him to win the award. However, it is most likely that Jean Dujardin, will win for his lead role in "The Artist;" seeing as he's gotten great praise from several critics for his performance.

2. I would love to see Kristen Wiig, who has dominated sketches on "Saturday Night Live" thanks to her vast comedic talents, win the Golden Globe for her grand performance in the humorous and sincere comedy "Bridesmaids." As protagonist Annie Walker; who is asked to be the Maid of Honor to her best friend Lillian (played by former "Saturday Night Live" castmember Maya Rudolph). And as a result, Wiig's protagonist endures several mishaps when putting together the event; but throughout it all, she fears that she'll forever lose her best friend once she becomes wed. Kristen Wiig treats the audience to a hilarious and genuine performance throughout the film; one that proves to be the best in her career so far. Kristen Wiig is a very talented actress and I wish she would win the award. However, I know in my heart that Michelle Williams, who portrays the late Marilyn Monroe in "My Week with Marilyn," will claim the award; as she has gotten rave reviews for portraying the famous actress.

3. When dealing with the category of Best Comedy or Musical, I greatly wish that either "50/50" or "Bridesmaids" would emerge victorious. Aside from Seth Rogen's acting, I really liked "50/50;" mainly for the emotional performance turned in by Joseph Gordon-Levitt as well as the relationships his character shares with the people in his life; which include his mother, played strongly by Angelica Huston, and his therapist Katie; played gingerly by Anna Kendrick. In addition, the movie felt completely real and didn't once drag; thanks in large part to the script written by Will Reiser; who based the movie on his experience on his own treatment for Spinal Cancer. The movie contained plenty of comedy and drama; thus establishing it as a worthwhile film.

I would also be happy if "Bridesmaids" won the honor as well. The R-rated comedy features a great ensemble of comedic performers; which includes Melissa McCarthy-- who manages to steal every scene she's in thanks to her hilarious performance as the crude-but-lovable Megan. I also liked the friendship between Kristen Wiig's Annie Walker and Maya Rudolph's Lillian. The chemistry between the two actresses was great; and I loved seeing the two paired-up in a non-"Saturday Night Live" feature. What's more, I really liked seeing a group of hilarious actresses have fun in a movie. They were all equally funny and they all worked well together. Additionally Kristen Wiig and her writing partner Annie Mumolo supplied the movie with plenty of humor and heart; making it a very considerable film.

However, while I wish that either one of these films would win the Golden Globe for Best Comedy, I realize that "The Artist" will claim the honor; considering that it won Best Movie at this past Thursday's Critics' Choice Movie Awards. However, it should be said that "Bridesmaids" won the award for Best Comedy at the same ceremony. So I realize that anything is possible.

Finally, and this is away from the topic, I am greatly excited about Ricky Gervais hosting the ceremony once again. He was hilariously honest last year; and I look forward to hearing his jokes this year. I read a few days ago that he will be going after six or seven targets during the ceremony. One can only wonder who in particular he will go after. Needless to say, I'm sure that Ricky Gervais will be hilarious tonight.

So there you go. Those are my views predictions as to how the comedy film categories will turn out. Of course I will be posting my thoughts and opinions regarding who's winning in the drama films categories during the telecast. I am greatly excited about covering the whole show; commenting on who's winning and losing, who's presenting awards, and anything else that takes place.

So be in front of your computers beginning at 8:00pm and have NBC on your televisions. Please feel free to post your thoughts underneath any of my comments; as your feedback is very important. Keep refreshing your computer screens throughout the show so you can read my latest opinions. Trust me, you do NOT want to miss my live-coverage of The 69th Annual Golden Globes. So stay tuned and I'll see you at 8:00pm!

E-mail me at thatsnatertainment@gmx.com

No comments:

Post a Comment